Company: Lake Hemet Municipal Water District
Posted on: June 9, 2019
Junior Accountant One Position - Junior Accountant - (Flex)
Accountant Open: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 through Friday, July 5,
2019 Lake Hemet Municipal Water District Classification
Specification Job Title: Junior Accountant - (FLEX) Accountant
Division: Administrative Services - Accounting Class Definition:
Under direction, participates in a wide variety of accounting
duties and services including internal audit functions, fixed asset
accounting, financial statement preparation, reporting financial
transactions and maintenance of financial records for the District
operations, programs, and services. Supervision Received:
- The Junior Accountant
- Position receives supervision from the Administrative Services
Manager within a framework of standard policies and
- Receives limited supervision from the Administrative Services
Manager and performs within a framework of standard policies,
procedures, and General Accounting Principles (GAP). Supervision
Exercised: May assist Accounting Technician, Purchasing
Agent/Buyer, Customer Service personnel or Billing staff on an as
needed basis as determined by the Administrative Services Manager.
Examples of Essential Job Functions: Responsibilities and duties
include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain a variety of accounts and general ledgers; prepare
monthly fiscal reports relating to the progress of assigned
- Participate in the development and administration of the
District's annual budget.
- Analyze revenues and expenditures; prepare budget resolutions
- Serve as a financial resource to the Administrative Services
Manager and various departments; provide information regarding
accuracy of a variety of accounts, revenues, and expenditures.
- Audit account numbers and balance appropriations available for
financial demands and purchases; review account balances and
entries for errors; perform corrected journal entries.
- After communicating with immediate supervisor, recommend and
implement changes in accounting and auditing systems and procedures
- Assists with the research and report findings of information
for external annual auditors.
- Competently operate personal computer including word
processing, spreadsheet, and financial system software.
- Provide professional level accounting information for staff and
higher level management staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned. Examples of
Non-essential Job Functions: Responsibilities and duties include,
but are not limited to the following:
- Assist other positions or work units with a variety of support
assignments or special projects on an as needed basis.
- Calculate, balance and verify District diesel fuel consumption
on a quarterly basis to obtain a refund from the California State
Board of Equalization.
- Recommend changes in accounting and auditing systems and
procedures if necessary.
- Maintain, review, balance, and adjust monthly bank statements,
recommend fund transfers and reconcile to general ledger.
- Test and document business processes for compliance with
District policies and procedures and assess strengths of internal
control for various accounting functions.
- Perform other job related duties as required. Examples of Other
Job Related Duties: Duties may include, but are not limited to the
- Interpret policies and procedures and exercise judgment to
respond to routine customer inquiries and/or complaints pertinent
to billing or District services.
- Process a variety of customer account records, verify
information for completeness and accuracy and make necessary
- Review, audit, analyze and reconcile customer billing records
and make adjustments as needed.
- Research customer records and respond verbally and/or in
writing to more complex customer inquiries.
- Monitor, review and send correspondence to customers and
property owners for various District programs, such as Owner Only
- Work with Purchasing Agent/Buyer on an annual basis to count,
verify and reconcile material and supply inventory.
- Balance accounts and post totals onto accounting worksheets,
summaries, ledgers and journals.
- Gather, sort and search records and files to provide factual
data and trace discrepancies to balance and reconcile accounts and
to resolve disputes; and reconcile and record in the fund book
District Bonds, loans and investment interest earned.
- Compute annual property tax appropriation; and prepare journals
and balance fund book and general ledger in preparation for fiscal
- Compile and prepare a variety of reports for District
Management including: cash flow and investments statements, cash
receipts and disbursement reports, and balance sheets on a
scheduled and ad-hoc basis.
- Enter payroll changes such as terminations, deductions,
overtime and special payroll status transactions such as voluntary
deductions, union dues, and/or withholding order payments into an
automated payroll database; audit, manually correct and record and
enter individual changes in life, dental and/or vision options into
online databases; verify and transfer payroll online for
preparation of payroll checks.
- Calculate and prepare manual checks for signature for bank
deposits, accounts payable, and payroll transactions such as
dismissals, early terminations, inaccurate base pay, tax levies and
other payroll attachments. Employment Standards: Education and
- Junior Accountant Experience: One (1) year of professional
accounting experience is desired.
- Training: Equivalent to a Bachelor of Arts degree with major
course work in accounting, business administration, finance, or a
related field. Extensive knowledge and training on the use of
Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Accountant Experience: Three (3) years of professional
accounting experience in a public agency, city, special district or
other entity familiar with Government Accounting Standards.
Verified experience working for Certified Public Accountant/Auditor
will be considered fulfilling this condition on a year-by-year
- Training: Requires a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Accounting,
Business Administration, or Finance. Extensive knowledge and
training on use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point. Licensed
as a Certified Public Accountant or Auditor desirable. Knowledge
- Standard office practices and procedures.
- Business English, spelling, punctuation, and grammar
- Fundamental principles of human relations.
- Business telephone etiquette.
- Business math.
- Record keeping methods. Ability to:
- Exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Meet strict recurring deadlines.
- Use tact and diplomacy in the resolution of errors and
- Understand pertinent procedures and functions and use good
judgment in interpreting and applying them to a variety of
- Maintain accurate records and controls with great attention to
- Prepare clear, concise and accurate reports and financial
statements, reports and analyses.
- Adjust to continuous change and/or frequent interruption.
- Answer multiline phone system.
- Communicate effectively with customers, the public, and
- Perform essential duties of the job without causing harm to
self or others. Licenses/Certifications Required: Essential duties
may require possession of a valid C California Driver's license and
satisfactory driving record. Working Conditions: Environmental
Conditions: Essential duties of this position are performed in a
controlled temperature, dynamic office environment. Incumbents work
closely with other District personnel in the performance of
assigned duties and responsibilities. Physical Conditions: Work is
performed in an environment of frequent interruptions requiring
maintenance of attention. Essential duties of the job necessitate
prolonged periods of sitting and viewing data and CTR screen;
requires finger and hand dexterity for extensive use of a personal
computer or typewriter; requires the ability to read and
communicate with others to clarify information received; to reach
for files and folders and other items; to stand, walk, push, pull
and grasp files and other items on a daily basis. Other: FLSA
Status: Exempt Unit Designation: Administrative/Supervisory
Drafted: 09/26/2011 Edited: 10/04/2011 Final: 10/11/2011 Junior
Accountant Pay Range: 11.5 Salary Range: $25.77/hour ($4,466/month)
- $34.60/hour ($5,997/month) Accountant Pay Range: 15 Salary Range:
$31.19/hour ($5,406/month) - $41.83/hour ($7,250/month)
Keywords: Lake Hemet Municipal Water District, Hemet , Junior Accountant, Accounting, Auditing , Hemet, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!